9th November 2018
Innovate UK’s Global Business Innovation Programme, delivered by Enterprise Europe Network, is organising a visit to Tokyo for innovative businesses, active in the energy innovation sector.
Japan is an attractive country for its excellence in Science and Technology and is one of the top R&D countries in the world. It is ranked 1st in Asia in Innovation (source: World Economic Forum “The Global Competitiveness Report 2017-2018”).
In 2011, the Great East Japan Earthquake and ensuing accident at TEPCO’s Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station marked a turning point for Japan’s overall energy policy and the sector is one of high priority for the Japanese government.
To achieve stable supplies of energy, economic efficiency, environmental feasibility and safety, Japan has adopted the following three strategies:
1) strengthen energy security
2) implement energy conservation and renewable energy policies that consider environmental concerns alongside growth
3) balance public interest issues, such as stable supplies of energy and reduced costs, with market liberalisation and growing competition
The recently approved 5th Strategic Energy Plan shows a strong shift in policy towards renewable energy, although a single objective underlies Japanese energy policy: energy security. There are huge opportunities for UK innovators with products and services applicable in this context.
Participating UK companies will visit ENEX2019, Smart Energy Japan 2019 and Energy Supply & Service Showcase 2019 all taking place at Tokyo Big Sight. Pitching sessions as well as company visits to large corporates will be arranged (depending on the participating sectors).
This opportunity is open to innovators working in fields such as the following:
• Energy Systems Technologies
• Innovative Energy Services and Customer Management
• Digital Energy Solutions/Services
• Distributed Energy Integration/ Smart grids
Flights, five nights accommodation (one representative per company) will be funded through the Global Business Innovation Programme.
• Access individual coaching sessions to ensure you are fully prepared for the visit
• Network with potential Research/business partners and investors in Japan
• Gain insight into what it takes to do business and be successful in the target market
• Access post-visit support to exploit the opportunities from the programme
• Services of experienced EEN Advisers before, during and after the visit
On acceptance to the visit, a commitment fee of £500 will be taken from you, which will be returned on completion of the programme and agreed action plan.
Non-attendance after formal acceptance will result in forfeiting the commitment fee.
This visit is part of Innovate UK’s Global Business Innovation Programme. For approved companies, Innovate UK will fund flights and five nights accommodation.
To participate in this visit, you must be an innovative SME, active in the energy sector and established in the UK. You must participate in the pre-visit workshops and work closely with your assigned Enterprise Europe Network adviser before and after the visit.
To express and interest in participating click here to complete the application form. It is a competitive process, places are limited and applications will be evaluated by a panel of experts from the organisers. You will be notified of the outcome by Friday 30 November 2018.
For more information, please contact: Andrew Kent, Senior Client Advisor, Enterprise Europe Network, Inventya Ltd
Your business is unique but the challenges you’ll face in business aren’t, we can help get you through them.
Our free and impartial support is delivered by experienced and expert business advisers, giving you the right advice at the right time for your business.
Contact us today to access a wealth of support, events, business growth programmes and expert advice.